Subject: Re: Package System?
To: None <Jeff.R.Woolley-1@tc.umn.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/28/1998 13:56:57
On Thu, 27 Aug 98 19:46:11 -0600, Jeff Woolley wrote:

> Is the pkg_add command different than using the pkgsrc stuff, i.e., going
> to the directory that the package is in (cd
> /usr/pkgsrc/print/ghostscript5) and typing make.

Yes, doing "make install" in /usr/pkgsrc/...

	* pulls the *source* distribution from somewhere on the Net if
	you don't already have it,
	* calculate the archive's MD5 value to see if it's authentic,
	* check if it depends on any other packages that are not
	present on your system, and if so, go to their directories and
	do "make install" recursively,
	* patch the source if there's any diff that should be applied
	before it can be compiled for NetBSD,
	* compile the software, and
	* install and register the package to your system,

while pkg_add

	* pulls the pre-compiled binary package if a URL is given (it
	can be a local file),
	* check its dependency to see if there's anything else needed,
	* if there is and it is not already installed, complain it and
	exit,
	* or install and register the binary package to your system.

Their end result is almost the same (the former leaves the source
archive file in /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles and working directory in
/usr/pkgsrc/category/package-name/work), but what they do are somewhat
different.

> This downloaded other packages/libs that where need for ghostscript.

What other packages/libs?  On my system,

find /var/db/pkg -name +REQUIRED_BY | xargs fgrep ghostscript

shows nothing.  That means nothing else is required by ghostscript
package.  Perhaps you are confusing the ghostscript source
distribution files with other packages/libs?

> I don't think it was a binary, since it was compiling it.

You're right.

> How hard is it to upgrade to 1.3.2?

I'll let others handle this, as I have never upgraded from 1.3 to
1.3.2.

> It stopped in single user and said run fsck_ffs manually. I did, and
> answered yes for everything that was messed up.

Hmm, then some damage is done.  Maybe switching SCSI driver helps?
(ncrscsi to sbc, or vice versa)

Ken