Subject: Re: netmask & 4 machines
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1998 16:39:07
>hello,  ( I would love some help )
>
>I have a problem...  ( I am a great user, but a horrible admin ).  I have :
>	2 Linux/ ( Win95,WinNT),   2 MacBSD,   1 MacOS 6.0.7
>		*Small local network ( only modem to Internet )
>		*I set the net mask for 255.255.255.0 ( IP 192.168.0.x ),
>all are Ethernet.
>
>	I find there is a delayed start in every IP action to or from any
>UNIX box
>mentioned
>if I telnet it can take up to 10 minutes  ( UNIX <-> anything). Once I have
>the telnet "login:" everything is fine.
>
>NOTE :  ping, telnet, rlogin, FTP all have this delay but HTTP is fine.
>NOTE:  The problem is worse on the MacBSD ... telnet localhost in fine on
>linux,  but 10 min on MacBSD

That's REALLY weird. What kind of throughput do you get with FTP? Are any
of your Ethernet cards dual-mode 10/100baseT? Is your hub "generic" or a
large-name-brand? I'm really just fishing here.

>	I don't have a BIND or Gateway configured.  Is this the problem?  What
>should the gateway be, I mean localhost, one of the computers, imaginary...?

You shouldn't need BIND, as you can use your ISP's DNS server (resolv.conf
should look have your ISP's domain & DNS IPs). The Gateway address on the
client machines should be set to your internal Network's IP for the host
machine (either the P120 or the IIci, whichever you choose). I have only
used MacOS as the client OS, so I'm actually not sure where you set it up
under NetBSD or linux.

>	==> I read the IPNAT and DHCP emails ( very interesting )

You mean the Web How-Tos?

>PS:   IPNAT (NetBSD   mac  II ci) Vs. IPMASQ ( LINUX pentium 120 )  and
>experiences witch is better faster more "together" ?

Well, you're comparing a 25 Mhz 3rd generation machine to a 120 Mhz 4th
generation machine, if that gives you any idea of which will better handle
it.

BUT..what it comes down to is that both of those machines can easily handle
a modem connection, and that's the fastest that your data will travel...the
modem is the slow link, not either of the machines. If you had an Ethernet
Internet connection, it may be a different story, but keep in mind that
www.macbsd.com is actually running on a 16 Mhz Mac IIcx with an Ethernet
connection, and it seems to serve the pages well.

>PSS:  How does one correctly type UNIX?  UN*X ... ?

That would depend on exactly what unix-variant you're using. The name
"UNIX" is a registered and owned trademark, and other people can get their
*ss sued off for actually calling their OS "unix" instead of "a unix-like
ooperating system". All you have to do to call your OS "unix" is pay X/Open
(the copyright holder) about $500,000 and meet certain requirements set
forth in "Spec 1170". I guess a german company that makes a Linux
distribution has actually done so, so their version of linux can actually
be called a true unix. Also, OSF was a co-copyright holder, so DEC Unix is
a valid unix (since DEC bought OSF. Prior to OSF & X/Open, it was owned by
Novell, who sold "UnixWare". Before that, it was only AT&T that could use
the name.

>PSSS:  If this is a BIND or Admin prob please direct me to the nearest
>howto on " whatever it is"

Where did you get the IP numbers that you're using for your machines? I
believe that the IP-NAT How-to has a section that mentions the ranges that
InterNic has designated for use by internal networks (i.e. no real Internet
host will ever have that address). You should definitely use one of those.
Also, do you use names for your machines? It may get caught up trying to
DNS the names, so you need to make sure that if you use names that you have
a valid /etc/hosts file. There should NEVER be a delay to access loopback.
That bypasses "regular" network stuff and is initialized as its own
interface.

Here's some random thoughts,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.