Subject: Re: Apache (formerly: identd and NetBSD)
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
From: Joshua E Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1998 15:59:52
Josh Hope
"Yes, I use UNIX. Why are you laughing?!"
root                 nefas       melkor
root@unixgeek.ml.org @SuperChat  @ChatNet
                   http://unixgeek.ml.org

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > Nope, httpd totally drops. I can't make any connections via lynx, and its
> > process doesn't show up in a ps -aux...
>
> Well, it must be dying after daemonizing.
>
> > I was using just plain 'httpd'...the included apachectl script starts it
> > this way...
>
> OK.  That should be using the compiled-in default ServerRoot, then.  Are
> you compiling from the Apache dist, or in the packages collection?

It was the latest Apache dist (1.3.1)...

> I've run with both the cdefault ServerRoot, and with the -d option
> (httpd -d /a/http).  Here's a partial listing of /a/http:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   2 http    http    512 Feb  3  1998 cgi-bin
> drwxr-xr-x   3 http    http    512 Feb 13  1998 conf
> drwxr-xr-x   3 http    http    512 May 11 10:17 htdocs
> drwxr-xr-x   2 http    http   2048 Jan  5  1998 icons
> drwxr-xr-x   2 http    http   1536 Aug 22 04:32 logs
>
> Note that conf, htdocs, and logs are all there.  It will look for the
> config files under /a/http/conf/.
>
> Does that help any?
>
> Ummm...  I also think that the apache install will not install the
> configuration files or anything like that, and will not populate
> ServerRoot at all.

It will, in the latest release (1.3.1) :) I know, because all I ran was
"make install" and it created and populated all dirs...

But why is apache refusing to run? It is such a strange thing. It loads
all conf files, and by the looks of it is forking like a daemon
should...yet it just quits and stops running. It is strange that it goes
through the entire startup process without a hitch, forks as if it were
done, then quits and drops out of orbit :)

Thanks for the help Allen...