Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1998 21:32:05
Finally, I could successfully boot NetBSD on a Syquest (it's only for
testing, so . . .:) ). Now, I can see on the screen the results of the
system check (and I get the prompt). NetBSD recognizes correctly the hd, the
Syquest, the CDRom and even sees the Hurdler Nubus ser port card. But, there
is nothing re the ethernet card. Only one line, which could be related (?):

> ae0 at nubus0 slot c: failed to determine size of ram

Does that mean the ethernet card is of the incompatible type? It's a
NuvoLink II (made by Nuvotech), V1.0 81990. It's an old, long type card and
from what I can see it is controlled by a DP8390CN chip. The central chip,
which I presume it is the controller, has this upon:

+B9024
DP8390CN
NS32490CN

That *should* be the "good* type, shouldn't it? Moreover there is a 20.00000
MHZ quartz on board. Then there are a lot of chips, I really don't know. Two
bigger ones are Sony (CXK59648BP-70L), may be ram? NetBSD said, it failed
reading the ram (?).

Colin Wood encouraged me to post this here. According to him there should be
hope to get that thing working :))

Some other question re the installation process:

- When I get the prompt, how do I go on? I tried "help" and "man" (the
latter usually works with my isp), but I didn't get anything. Actually I do
not find the reference, but on some "How-to" I read I should follow then (at
the prompt) the installation instructions (?).

- Should I set the monitor to 1-bit? (I'd prefer 256 greyscales . . .)

- Are the ser ports really limited to 9600 bps? That would be hard to
believe.

- I remember, I read in the FAQ the 32K cache card for the IIci should work.
Is that correct?

Thanks in advance, Ulrich