Subject: Re: Apache (formerly: identd and NetBSD)
To: Joshua E Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1998 07:58:12
> I also saw lines opening the log files (with no errors I could see).

So your log files should exist, then, and just be empty?  Did you check
the exact location as specified in the ktrace output?

> Here's the tail of the ktrace.out file...
>
>  21550 httpd    CALL  close(0x3)
>  21550 httpd    RET   close 0
>  21550 httpd    CALL  break(0x6bffc)
>  21550 httpd    RET   break 0
>  21550 httpd    CALL  chdir(0x2c39c)
>  21550 httpd    NAMI  "/"
>  21550 httpd    RET   chdir 0
>  21550 httpd    CALL  fork
>  21550 httpd    RET   fork 21551/0x542f
>  21550 httpd    CALL  exit(0)
>
> I don't know if that says anything...

This says that it forked the child process and then exited.  That's
usually a sign that it was "daemonizing" (see 'man daemon').  That is,
this sounds perfectly normal, and sounds like there should "now" be
a process with PID 21551 running, serving HTTP requests (assuming that
nothing else is holding port 80 open).  Try doing the ktrace/kdump with
-X on the httpd command-line (that will prevent it from daemonizing).

Also, can you tell me what command-line you're using to start the
server, and an ls -l of your server root directory (the directory
containing htdocs, logs, conf, etc.)

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com