Subject: Re: Building a Kernel for Classic II
To: <>
From: Andrew Foakes <netbsd@foakes.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1998 22:35:05
On 25/8/98 9:01 pm, Colin Wood at cwood@ichips.intel.com wrote

I had previously written about booting a Classic II with the latest
kernel:

> Tried the GENERIC-81 kernal and it stopped after the screen cleared with
> the message:
>
> System RAM: 10452992 bytes in 2552 pages.
>      Low = 0x0, high = 0x9f8000
>   no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfee09a80
>
> But then nothing and I have to hit the bong button.

to which Colin Wood suggested:

> Is this with "extra kernel debug messages" (or something like that) turned
> on in the booter?  If not, could you try again with it on?  Just hoping
> something more useful might pop up ;-)

Well I tried it.  With the most recent GENERIC 82 kernel (22/08/98) I get:

== START ==

Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MMU.
System RAM: 10452992 bytes in 2552 pages.
     Low = 0x0, high = 0x9f8000
  no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfee09a80.
Done.
Bootstrapping the pmap system.
Pmap bootstrapped.
Moving ROMBase from 0x40a00000 tp 0x9fa000.
Video address 0xfee09a80 -> 0xbfaa80.

== STOP ==

Then I have to hit the bong button (by which I mean the debug button does
nothing).  It's not as simple as the video being looked for at an
inappropriate address (0xbfaa80) is it (i.e. everything is working, but
the screen isn't where NetBSD now thinks it is)?

Yours,

Andrew

Running NetBSD version 1.3.2 on a Classic II
See http://www.foakes.demon.co.uk/NetBSD.html for details