Subject: Re: your mail
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1998 14:34:09
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:00:58 -0500 (CDT), Danny Paul wrote:
> > I hope I'm not abusing this address,
>
> Not at all.  Abuse of this mailing list address usually involves a
> SPAM ;-)
>
> > 	1. If I'm repartioning my hard drive to make way for NetBSD and
> > all the info on it is obliterated, how am I going to get back into Mac-OS
> > to restore my hard drive?
>
> If the files are important, you have to make a back-up copy of your
> HFS volume before repartitioning.  I usually use StuffIt Lite and a
> Zip drive to do this.
>
> I've heard of a utility program which would supposedly `compact' the
> files and folders into the top of volume then shrink the HFS
> partition, but I've never seen or used it myself (anybody know what
> it's called and where I can find it?).

FWB Tools can move and resize partitions on the fly. A lite version comes
with may hard drives, and it is also available commercially for about
$50-US. La Cie Silverlining also does that, but AFAIK, it is only
distributed with certain new hard drives. Updates to old, registered
versions are available on the web. I do not know the details of how either
utility works, but know from experience that either utility can really do
a number on your file system if you try to compress a partition too small.
I have used both for making NetBSD partitions; I currently prefer LaCie's.