Subject: Re: ethernet-to-localtalk (slightly off-topic)
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1998 17:44:01
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> >No, it is correct. The Localtalk specification only supports DDP (Datagram
> >Delivery Protocol) packets on a localtalk net.
>
> Hmm, I'm using an Asante EtherPrint (again, just a box/no drivers) to
> bridge a PhoneNet network to Ethernet and I can successfully (but slowly)
> run NetScape and other TCP/IP applications. I don't have, much less use,
> MacIP.

You have to. You just don't see it. What are your MacTCP or TCP/IP
settings? How did you assign the (I assume LocalTalk'd) mac's IP address?

The ultimate resolution of the question is the LocalTalk spec, as
documented in _Inside_Appletalk_, second edition. It's available on the
Apple web site (it was in the Open Transport section). It specifies that
the first byte of a on-wire packet is the destination address, the second
the source address, the third a LLAP byte, and then comes the DDP packet.
There is no ability to throw IP packets in there.

I'd be very surprised if Apple revised the spec., and I'd be very
interested if they did.

Take care,

Bill