Subject: Re: Gateway3 CD
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1998 13:29:18
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> I need some help with the Gateway3 CDRom. I got it following the advices on
> the NetBSD homepage, but unfortunately, I'm unable to find the Mac related
> stuffs. There are tons of 0byte files (aliases or such kind, I guess) and
> some scripts (on the topmost level of the CDRom). Those scripts, apparently
> refer to a booting routine, but on the Mac that CD will not boot (may be
> it's meant for Amigas or PCs). Now, how can I get the Mac utilities and try
> to install the NetBSD stuff from that CD? Then there are other files,
> obviously binaries, because when I open them in an editor (ProTERM), I'm
> getting some text, names, and then garbled stuff (similar to what I get when
> opening formatted Mac text or db files).
>
> Hmm, it's not what I'd consider an installer CD (at least not for a Mac) . .
> .:-\

well, it's certainly not bootable on a mac.  netbsd supports about 15
different architectures for the 1.3.2 release, so getting a single CD
that's bootable on all is a bit tough :-)

anyway, installing from the CD should be more or less the same as from
ftp'd files.  just grab a copy of the 3 macos utilities from the mac68k
subdir (i.e. the installer, mkfs, and the booter).  all should be hqx'd
.sea files.  expand them on you local hard drive.  partition your drive,
run mkfs, use the installer to install the binary distribution sets that
are on the CD, and then boot.

of course, i've never tried to do this from a CD since i don't have a
cdrom drive....

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation