Subject: identd and NetBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joshua E Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1998 01:09:39
As long back as I can remember, identd has never worked quite right with
NetBSD/mac68k. I know it doesn't work real well with IRC servers and all,
because whenever I try connecting to a server identd will do nothing.

I found a way around this, though it is ugly. It involved commenting out
the line in inetd.conf and instead starting identd via the command line
(identd -b). This is the only I've found to make identd work
acceptably...however, there is a flaw in this as well. Everytime an identd
request is received, identd will spawn a process and FORGET TO KILL IT.
This is probably a programmed "feature" but is quite annoying when after a
couple days my ps list is full of identd processes :)

So what I am looking for are any hints or tips to get identd to work
successfully through inetd...it'd be much easier :)

Oh, I should mention here I am using the identd included with standard
NetBSD distrib, and using the line that is in the inetd.conf file as
distrib, nothing changed.

On an aside, and unrelated note, Apache still is not functioning (won't
work either as a normal daemon or when called via inetd)...no replies to
my previous post on this topic :)

Thanks for all your help,

Josh Hope
"Yes, I use UNIX. Why are you laughing?!"
root                 nefas       melkor
root@unixgeek.ml.org @SuperChat  @ChatNet
                   http://unixgeek.ml.org