Subject: Re: Building a Kernel for Classic II
To: Andrew Foakes <netbsd@foakes.demon.co.uk>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/23/1998 11:16:36
Andrew Foakes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've pulled the IntVidTest version 0.4.1 source for the 1.2 kernel and
> tried to build a 1.3.2 kernel for a Classic II by looking at the
> differences.  As far as I can see, all the code is in machdep.c and most
> of the that (i.e. the screen locations, size, etc) is in the 1.3.2
> version except one call to check_video.  I tried to e-mail Norikai
> Yamada, who made the kernel I'm currently using, but I couldn't find an
> e-mail address for him and the ones I guessed are obviously wrong.

Yeah, I know.  It's rather annoying.  I wish he had contact info on that
page :-)

> I put in the call to check_video with little confidence that I had
> understood what is going on, and indeed the kernel I built crashed into
> the debugger on boot.  Does anyone have any clues as to where I should be
> looking/changing things?

I looked into this at one point, but the changes between 1.2 and 1.3 were
just too much to easily get it to work.

> [Note this is 1.3.2, not current.  Does current work on a Classic II yet?
>  If not, is there a plan for making it work?]

Can you try booting a -current kernel from MacOS?  That's really the only
way to know for sure.  Scott has made some changes recently that just
might (with emphasis on the might) help that machine work....

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation