Subject: Re: startx
To: Michael Bartosh <bartosh@tamu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1998 17:28:17
Michael Bartosh wrote:

> >> Having trouble with startx- I've changed ld.so.conf (to have
> >> /usr/X11R6/lib) and added /usr/X11R6/bin to the path part of /.cshrc  .
> >> Even rebooted (didn't think I had to. When I startx, it says comand not
> >> found.
> >>
> >> I'm fairly new to this, or at least haven't been into it too deeply, so if
> >> there's a url somewhere that deals with this (aside from the howto...
> >> unless I'm missing something there) feel free to just send me there.
> >
> >several things to look at:
> >
> >1) does it say "startx: command not found"  or something else?
>
> Yes, "startx: command not found"
>
> >2) does /usr/X11R6/bin/ contain "startx", "xinit", "X", and "Xmac68k"?
>
> Ahh... No "X" or "Xmac68k". The others are there. This is odd, all I did
> was install the packages through the MacOS installer.

ah.  looks like you forgot to install xserver.tgz, or else it's in the
wrong place?

> Incidentally, when I
> change xfs and xdm to yes in rc.conf, x starts with its login panel.
> However I cannot log in. Also, the reboot comand only works under
> single-user (otherwise I'm still rooting around, not to the point I need
> another login yet).

you do have to be root to reboot, although i usually use "shutdown -r now"
to be somewhat nicer ;-)

> >3) does "echo $path" show /usr/X11R6/bin in your path
>
> No- which is odd since it's in /.cshrc correctly. What's weird is that
> _only_ /bin and /usr/bin _do_ show up, when much more than that is listed
> in .cshrc.

are you using csh?  sounds like you might be using /bin/sh instead.  in
which case, you'll need to edit .profile instead.

> >4) can you do a "cd /usr/X11R6/bin; ./startx", and does that work?
>
> Nope- says "xinit:not found" Which makse sense I think since /usr/X11R6/bin
> supposedly isn't in my path.

makes sense.

> Am I way off? I think I'm going to hold off, reformat and install with
> 1.3.2 (everything I have right now is new anyway, I took the packages off
> of my MacOS hard drive, where they've been hiding since I tried this with
> my IIci. (these worked, though, with it)

installing the xserver set and switching to csh will probably solve your
problems.  let us know how it goes.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation