Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1998 11:37:14
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> I'm totally new to this mailing list and I'm not sure whether or not it is
> allowed to ask not technical questions. If not, sorry in anticipation.
> (Please indicate, if I should post better to the usenet group. There's some
> problem here with, because the provider I'm mainly using, seems to have
> cancelled it from his newsgroup list (?) ).

Don't worry, this isn't really what I'd call a technical question, but it
is the sort of stuff that is appropriate for this list.

> When I try to install NetBSD to a Mac IIci (80 MB ram, 4 GB -Barracuda- at
> scsi id 0, CDRom at id 3, ethernet, bichannel active isdn card, csi hurdler
> ser ports), after starting the NetBSD/Mac68k Installer I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> >sd0 at scsi ID 0.
> >Partition read, SCSIID = 0
> >Mounting partition 'A' as /
> >sd0a: Root 'NetBSD Root & Usr' at 4189661 size 2094208
> >sd0b: Other (FWB DRIVER COMPONENTS) 'FWB Driver Components' at 101 size 1024
> >sd0d: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 1245 size 2094208
> >sd0e: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 2095453 size 2094208
> >sd0f: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 6283869 size 2096210
> >sd0g: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 8380079 size 1
> >Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
> >failed mountfs(), error 22.
> >Error mounting root.
> >mount root. : Undefined error: 0
>
> Any idea, what's the reason why? I took a look at the FAQ at the mac68k page
> at NetBSD.org, but I didn_t see any *obvious* reason. Please keep in mind
> I'm pretty unexperienced with any Unix and trying to get NetBSD working on
> that IIci is my very first experience (exception made for some use of Lynx
> with an Apple II from shell).

You might want to dig around through the NetBSD/mac68k FAQ again, I'm
pretty sure this one is in there.  The usual workaround for this situation
is to increase the memory allocation for the Installer (just bump it up in
the Get Info dialog).  You might have to set it _very_ high (like 60MB or
so).  I'm not entirely sure what causes this, but upping the memory
allocation usually seems to help.

> (What I want to do is to give that nice machine "a second chance" as server
> in a small bnc ethernet based lan (3 macs, 1 Apple IIGS), mainly as internet
> gateway and as file server).

It should do that nicely ;-)

Good luck, and let us know if the above doesn't work.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation