Subject: Re: multihoming
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1998 10:23:25
#3 isn't really necessary - a single host name can have multiple
addresses - but different names can be helpful.

#4 is OK if you're using /etc/hosts to resolve the name/address, but you
might also need to fix up your DNS files...

I'd add #7:  make sure your kernel has OPTIONS GATEWAY (all the GENERIC
kernels have this, I think), or turn it on with an appropriate sysctl.

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Ben Zeller wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > 	This isn't specific to the mac68k port, but I was wondering if
> > anyone was familiar with how to set up a MacBSD box to use two ethernet
> > cards each connected to a different subnet (each with its own IP
> > number...).  If anyone out there knows of a help resource, please let me
> > know,
>
> It's not really any different than setting up 1 card:
>
> 1) get 2 Ethernet cards
> 2) get 2 IP addresses
> 3) make up 2 names, one for each card
> 4) make sure that you have the names matching up with the IP addresses
>    in /etc/hosts
> 5) create ifconfig files for each card (if both are DP8390-based, then
>    you'll have ifconfig.ae0 and ifconfig.ae1, if one or more is a SONIC
>    card, it'll be ifconfig.sn0 or ifconfig.sn1).  take a look at your
>    boot messages to see what the device number is
> 6) if you need to know more about configuring an interface, take a look
>    at the mac68k networking howto at www.macbsd.com
>
> i hope this helps.
>
> later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |