Subject: Re: Apache as a daemon (bit offtopic)
To: bvjsales <bvjsales@japan.co.jp>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1998 12:28:05
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, bvjsales wrote:

> >Dave Schmitt wrote:
> >   Inetd is the lesser used of the two options. For each http connection
> >   received, a new copy of the server is started from scratch; after the
> >   connection is complete, this program exits. There is a high price to
> >   pay per connection, but for security reasons, some admins prefer this
> >   option. Inetd mode is no longer recommended and does not always work
> >   properly. Avoid it if at all possible.
> >
> >When I have run apache, my needs are simple so I follow their advice and
> >stick w/ the more efficient and reliable standalone.
>
> I'm new to all this and I just installed apache 1.3.1 with success. [yeah!]
>
> Could someone please go thru the steps needed to make it run under httpd
> instead of inetd?
>
> Like, what files do I configure and what kinda lines do i have to input.

By default it should be setup to run on its own. Check the ServerType
directive in httpd.conf. It should be Standalone in your case. Other than
that, put an entry to run httpd in your /etc/rc.local and everything should
be happy. See the Apache INSTALL/README files for more details.

Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>