Subject: telnet breakings?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 06:25:33
Hi!
I've been having people telnet into my box while I have a live-connection to my
school's servers here at Cal.State Long Beach, California. Today one came
from a box called 'n116client168.hawaii.rr.com. Last week someone's box called
'snoop' something made telnet connections also.

Is there a fix for these intrusions?

I wasn't able to see the connection in ps -aux or netstat -r or -a, but like
the rest of the console messages on this netbsd-1.3.2 upgraded system, they
scroll up from the bottom of the terminal and also appear in each open xterm and
application.

 I used to have bwildasi add to the group "wheel" file, but decided to take
it out since ftp and telnet seemed to be able to sign in with that since I left
off the password. E-gad that's still a problem, since I haven't found a way to
get my added user names to be able to use applications I've compiled under
root, which seems to be mandatory anyway in order to gain access to all the
compiler tools and other files that require root authorization to use. Thus,
i've just used 'root' to login.

I'm reading up on my partially installed apache server to see if that is the
problem. It installed all its files, but still needs to have  ServerName set
which I'm trying to do now by reading the htdocs/manual it installed .

Any help is appreciated.

Brian Wildasinn
bwildasi@csulb.edu

E-Mail: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>