Subject: Re: sbc driver and porting questions
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 13:53:57
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>
> > Here are the questions:
> >
> > 1. would we be allowed to use NetBSD's 5380 driver and some of the sbc
> >    code that surrounds it in MkLinux?
>
> Yes. See MkLinux's adb code. :-)

Yeah.  I noticed that.  I've been pounding on the pmu side of that
recently....  :-)

> > 5. can anyone confirm that such a chip is actually in use in those
> >    machines?
>
> Actually, I just looked at the Apple tech note on this machine,
> http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-PPC_Portable/PowerBook_1400.pdf
> and it sure as hell looks like they're using a Zilog 85C80 combo SCSI/SCC
> chip. It's the same one as in the MacIIsi and many other mac models.
>
> So I bet it will work as well with either the ncr or sbc drivers as the
> 68k portables do. :-)

Well, I think the sbc works on some.  What bothered me was my PB145, which
has choked every time I've tried an sbc kernel, while the ncrscsi kernels
work (albeit with occasionally bad fs corruption and lots of problems if
you don't sync and unmount manually before shutdown/reboot).

> P.S. could macppc eventually benefit from whatever you learn? Please?

Odds are, macppc could port it in much more easily than MkLinux, mostly a
matter of getting the address of the registers, and stuff (any tips on
that?).  The MkLinux port, I'd imagine, will be a little tougher.  But as
always, it's open source, so if there's anything helpful, there's no
reason it couldn't propagate to port-ppc.  That is, of course, if I can
get working....  (crosses fingers, says short prayer, and starts pounding
on code).

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624