Subject: Re: sbc driver and porting questions
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 11:31:54
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> Here are the questions:
>
> 1. would we be allowed to use NetBSD's 5380 driver and some of the sbc
>    code that surrounds it in MkLinux?

Yes. See MkLinux's adb code. :-)

> 2. what horrible problems should I expect to run into in the process?

Unknown.

> 3. would it be better to write a completely new framework to integrate the
>    M.I. 5380 driver?

Scott'd know better about this.

> 4. are there any details specific to any 53c80 clones that would prevent
>    either the sbc code or the M.I. 5380 driver from working with those
>    systems?

I doubt it, but who knows.

> 5. can anyone confirm that such a chip is actually in use in those
>    machines?

Actually, I just looked at the Apple tech note on this machine,
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-PPC_Portable/PowerBook_1400.pdf
and it sure as hell looks like they're using a Zilog 85C80 combo SCSI/SCC
chip. It's the same one as in the MacIIsi and many other mac models.

So I bet it will work as well with either the ncr or sbc drivers as the
68k portables do. :-)

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill

P.S. could macppc eventually benefit from whatever you learn? Please?