Subject: Re: Problems with Telnet
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 10:34:16
>(Note:  I've done it for your, but in the future, please have your
>mailier wrap your text, at column 70 or so...)
>
>Network terminals are considered insecure, and root logins are only
>allowed from secure terminals.  Two options:
>
>1. Add yourself to the wheel group, log in as yourself, and use the
>   su command to become root
>
>2. Edit /etc/ttys and mark all your tty's as secure.

Personally, I edited /etc/ttys and only marked the FIRST tty as secure on
my other NetBSD box. That allows me to telnet in as root from my Mac once.
Since I keep that connection open (i.e. I never log root off from there)
tty00 is always in use, so it gives me a "reasonably" secure setup. If you
were to mark them ALL as secure, then someone could conceivably hack in as
root from anywhere.

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.