Subject: Re: Problems with Telnet
To: Hugh Lindley <mule@comnet.ca>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 04:33:11
(Note:  I've done it for your, but in the future, please have your
mailier wrap your text, at column 70 or so...)

Network terminals are considered insecure, and root logins are only
allowed from secure terminals.  Two options:

1. Add yourself to the wheel group, log in as yourself, and use the
   su command to become root

2. Edit /etc/ttys and mark all your tty's as secure.

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Hugh Lindley wrote:

> I'm having some problems configuring telnet using MacBSD. I'm sure
> this is a simple UNIX admin thing but since I'm new to the game I need
> some help. I can login to my MacBSD box as root or as a user without a
> problem. Upon boot up I can see the network come up and from other
> nodes on the network I have no problem pinging the MacBSD box. I can
> even get other workstations to telnet to the MacBSD box and get a
> login prompt. However, when I attempt to enter root as the user or use
> the user password that I've set up for myself it gives me a <insert
> user name here> LOGIN REFUSED FROM THIS TERMINAL message. Can anyone
> point me to the instructions to allowing user to remotely telnet in?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |