Subject: Re: fetchmail failed.......
To: Naoki Kobayashi <tsu23715@mail.interq.or.jp>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1998 07:03:21
Hi Kobayashi-san,

I use pine for my e-mail program.  So if you use a different e-mail
program, you will probably have to set things according to your e-mail
program.  Here is my setup.

My e-mail address is mark@giganet.net

So I created my main account on my NetBSD computer to be "mark". My host
name is bongo, so mail on my NetBSD computer comes out as "mark@bongo".

Next, I need to fix the domain name. So I set my domain name to be
"giganet.net."  You can do this in the /etc/rc.conf file. Now, mail on my
NetBSD computer comes out as "mark@bongo.giganet.net". Still not right.

So I set up masquerading in sendmail, so it will adjust the domain name
for outgoing mail.  In the /etc/sendmail.cf file, find a line that looks
like

  # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
  DM

After the DM, enter your domain name.  Mine looks like

  # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
  DMgiganet.net

This step should work for most mail programs, so now mail on my NetBSD
computer matches my real e-mail address, "mark@giganet.net". Just to be
safe, in Pine, I also set my main domain to be "giganet.net" as well.

Hope this helps,

Mark

On 17 Aug 1998, Naoki Kobayashi wrote:

>  Thanks!!!
>
> When I mail from Netbsd as root to my address, "Charlie Root "
> mails to me :-(
>
>  So I re-login as naoki and mail,
> Naoki Kobayashi<naoki@performa588.mac.net>
> mails tome (--);;
>
> Such adresses people can't "Re"mail  to.
> Should I change my machin's hostname link to my e-adress?

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/