Subject: Need SCSI help...
From: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1998 21:13:53
Hello,

I just bought a used SCSI drive, and I'm trying to get it to work w/ an
SE/30 running NetBSD (although I haven't gotten to the NetBSD party yet
since it won't recognize the drive...) It's a 2GB Seagate Hawk XL2.
According to Seagate, the interface type is Ultra-SCSI ASA 2.

What I'd like to know is, *should* this work? Should an SE/30 be able to
use this? My PowerMac has no trouble with it, and my Q660av can use it,
but I get wierd video stuff going on (garbage in my menu bar & windows not
drawing their contents) when I replace the built-in CD w/ it in my SCSI
chain (yes, I have unique SCSI IDs). The only difference other than the
type of mac between the SE/30 and the other two is that in the SE/30 it's
the only device in the SCSI chain, whereas in the other two, it's in the
middle between two other devices.

It has embedded resistors that are controlled by jumpers, so I set
termination to "on" and "powered from drive" when in the SE/30, and "off"
in the other two.

Anyway, the SE/30 won't even see it as a SCSI device, much less a volume.

Can anyone help?

-Avram