Subject: another try on the IDE driver
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/15/1998 09:48:59
Ok, folks,

Another round of IDETEST kernels and MAKEDEV.diff are ready.  URL is,
as usual, ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/private/kenn/IDE.  Kernels are
netbsd.IDETEST{,SBC}.3.tar.gz, and source wdc.source.19980815.tar.gz.

NOTE: if you already downloaded the previous version of MAKEDEV.diff
and applied it, please revert the change by renaming MAKEDEV.orig back
to MAKEDEV.  Then download the new version and apply it.  Also, don't
forget to delete all wd0? and rwd0? and rerun MAKEDEV wd0 before
trying disklabel on the drive.

If you don't already have a working NetBSD system on your Mac, just
try to boot the kernel off of HFS partition (you need to untar the
tar.gz with MacGzip and SunTar; Be sure to ungzip the file in BINARY
mode or the resulted kernel file will be corrupted).

This time, I'm pretty confident that your drive will be recognized
correctly, so I'd like you to boot the test kernel in single-user
mode, and try disklabel on the drive:

	disklabel /dev/rwd0c

and send me or the port-mac68k list what you see.

If that succeeds, please try to browse the HFS partition on the drive
with hfsutils or something, or try to create an A/UX type partition on
the drive with pdisk (*), format the partition with newfs, and mount it.

*: ftp://ftp.mklinux.apple.com/pub/wip/pdisk/980218/pdisk_68k.hqx
This is a MacOS application.  Thanks to Yasuhiro Endoh for the URL.

NOTE for X users: Some people have reported that they had trouble
running X server on the earlier IDETEST kernels because the internal
video wasn't found and configured.  I don't expect the problem to be
resolved in the newer IDETEST kernels.  There are still some missing
pieces to use IDE drives on a production NetBSD/mac68k system, so
please refrain from treating these kernels as such.

The standard NO-WARRANTY disclaimer applies.

Ok, enjoy and TIA for your feedback,

Ken