Subject: Re: How 68k to boot multiuser mode??
To: Ed D. Wright <ewright@spice.jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1998 10:02:28
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Ed D. Wright wrote:

> ...I found Your hint from Netbsd FAQ:s and change that /etc/ttys how You
> ...tell to change but it wont help. Then I try to mount that
> /dev/tty00 to
> .../usr/libexec/getty but it said "need bolck device" and wont work...

You don't mount a serial device! If you're logged in (somehow) when you
change /etc/ttys, you can enable the new gettys with "kill -HUP 1".
"shutdown" will also do the job. If you're using the installer's "cpin",
just boot.

> Another problem.  When I boot back into single user mode using the
> booter,
> permission is read only, so I can't reset rc.conf.  I had to rm rc.conf
> from the mini-shell then reinstall /etc.

This is in the FAQ, I think. From default single user shell,

	mount -a
	set TERM=vt220
	export TERM
	vi /etc/rc.conf

The following also works for me, but it assumes that you have the
appropropriate initialization files in /root. I believe it will work
with a new installation, but I'm not sure.

	mount -a ; su -l ; vi /etc/rc.conf

You could simply mount your root partition r/w with "mount -u /", but then
you would still need to mount your /usr partition for vi.