Subject: Re: Serial Console?
To: Shelby Davis <sdavis@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1998 09:47:56
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Shelby Davis wrote:

> <type control-d (you know, EOF:)>
> and the control-d shows up as ^D.
> backspace doesn't actually rubout the characters, It displays
> a ^H, and simarly for other things.
> you know, useful things like control-z...
> I can fire up vi and get useful control character processing,
> but not in the shell.

What do you get from "stty" or "stty -a"? You don't want to see
"-icanon" "-isig" or "-iexten"; you want to see none of them  with "stty",
 or "icanon isig iexten" somewhere in the output of "stty -a".

The reason control characters work in vi is that vi does its own terminal
initialization. You can see what vi is doing to your terminal by typing
":!stty" from within vi.

The usual way to set this up in csh is in your .login file. Here are the
relevant lines from mine:

	tset vt220
	eval 'tset -s'

That, or some variation of, should set the line up correctly for you.