Subject: Re: Mac OS NTP server
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1998 16:02:13
>On the other hand, Macintoshes being built the way they are, I'd never use
>one as an NTP server - only as a client. The Mac's clock hardware sucks,
>and the system is wired to make clock interrupts the lowest priority
>interrupt, which means that unless the OS is *exceedingly* careful about
>interrupt lockouts, the system will lose time like a a man losing blood
>from his femoral artery.

Umm, you're slightly amiss on the Mac's clock structure....I've never ever
had to reset time on a Mac running MacOS more than 5 minutes per YEAR! and
I've used them since the Mac Plus. My dad's SE just needed its FIRST
battery replacement.

What you must understand is that the Mac's clock interrupt scheme was
written for MacOS and NOTHING else. I must agree that it doesn't meet with
un*x's "desires" for a nice clock scheme, but under MacOS, it's flawless. I
won't buy a Volkswagen Beetle and complain that its shocks suck just
because I can't go Baja'ing with it. It wasn't designed for that, so I
shouldn't expect it to be suited for it. We, the NetBSD community, also are
using our Macs for things that they were NOT designed for, so we shouldn't
expect them to operate the way we'd like them to all the time. It's not
Apple's fault that we're hacking the hell outta their machines.

Just my thoughts,
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.