Subject: Re: Mac OS NTP server
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Douthitt <ssrat@mailbag.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1998 13:46:12
> [a whole lot about problems with NTP]
>
> Turns out Daemon, the nifty little Mac program that purportedly includes
> an NTP server, also serves up whatever protocol (probably 'time') is
> necessary for rdate(8). My cron job to run ntpdate against the campus
> time servers now runs rdate against my G3, and all will be well for my
> IIci when it falls off the campus net today.

To my knowledge, Daemon does *NOT* support NTP, but only timed.
timed is an older and largely obsolete protocol, being supplanted by
the much more accurate and scalable NTP.  I have used at least two
NTP clients on the Mac other than Vremya - most all seem to be pretty
nice.  I don't know about NTP servers for Macintosh..

> - Amitai
>
> --
> Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's?
>      -- Friedrich Nietzsche

God is Dead. -- Nietzsche
Nietzsche is Dead.  -- God

David Douthitt, N9UBH