Subject: Re: "Can't set locale" ?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei@ps.yokogawa.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/12/1998 18:05:22
"Naoki Kobayashi" <tsu23715@mail.interq.or.jp>  wrote:

>> I did that for my own use, but now I'm using Stock X
>> distribution and Ken Nakata's OSFA server.  So my kterm
>> warns similarly in starting up.

Naoki>   10minutes ago I happened to find the memo that I've
Naoki> written down in the ~/.cshrc

Naoki>  setenv LANG ja_JP.EUC

Naoki> So I soon removed this line and restarted
Naoki> netbsd.........  and startx >& error.log.......  No
Naoki> more annoying messages there!!!

Oh, It's nice.

Naoki> And in the Xterm wind I did kterm >& error.log Those
Naoki> error.log like ja_JP.EUC........ja, japan are
Naoki> harmless I've ever heard.

Naoki>  The problem is that even in the Kterm wind,I can't
Naoki> read jman!!!  Letters are all into inscrutable fonts
Naoki> (in japanese : MOJIBAKE).

Naoki>   Which settings do I forget?

Kterm can always show characters encoded ISO-2022-JP which
is called often JIS code properly, so you don't need set
environment variable LANG.  You may want to change the code
used by kterm by pressing mouse button 2 (middle) with
Control key and selecting one of 'euc' or 'sjis' from the
menu appeared.  Selecting none means using JIS code.

Does "cat (file contains Japanese)" work properly, doesn't
it?  If it doesn't, please let me know the result of
"xlsfonts|grep jis".

I donno about jman, but I assume it includes jless or less
w/ iso-2022 patch (I use the latter).  If so, all you need
is set the environment variables PAGER to
/full/path/to/jless and JLESSCHARSET to japanese.

But, jman probably checks LANG...  Where did you get it?

#

I don't use jman, but am happy with 10/12/14/16/24 dots
Kanji font.  It need to modify kterm's app-defaults file,
though.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei@ps.yokogawa.co.jp>
Happy Hacking!