Subject: Re: netbsd clock problem...
To: Kevin Ogden <kkb@ddw.net>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@arioch.imrryr.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/11/1998 16:24:12
Try www.clock.org, it has some pretty good documentation on ntp.
I've found ntp pretty easy to set up, I just cp a simple config
setup into /etc/ntp.conf:

---BOF(Beginning of File)---

server          <ntp server 1> prefer
server		<ntp server 2>

# By default, don't let anyone do anything
restrict        default notrust nomodify ignore
restrict        <ntp server 1>   nomodify
restrict        <ntp server 2>   nomodify
# We place no restriction on ourselves.
restrict        127.0.0.1                       # ourselves

# This next line is if you are a server, and want to
# serve time to boxes on <your net> with mask <your mask>
restrict        <your net> mask <your mask> nomodify nopeer notrust

#----- Drift history
driftfile       /etc/ntp.drift

---EOF---

Then you just change

xntpd=YES

in /etc/rc.conf.  Maybe change ntpdate to YES, with the correct hosts...

Everything should then work on boot.  To start after making said changes,
I think that

# xntpd -p /var/run/xntpd.pid

will just do it.  (The '-p ...' is just to put a pid file in /var/run)

 == Roland
 == http://www.imrryr.org/~elric/