Subject: Re: LCD monitor support on PB180?
To: None <scotte@warped.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/11/1998 13:45:25
[I took liberty of refilling paragraphs because most lines were a bit
too long for my terminal]

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:01:27 -0700, Scott Ellis wrote:
> I've been trying Mac68k kernels on my PB180 off and on for awhile
> now, and with one of the more recent snapshots (and the most recent
> booter!), it finally cleared the screen, and printed stuff on what
> appears to be the console (before it would hang when the kernel was
> supposed to start running).  Unfortunately, it dies after printing
> two lines, on teh "getting mmu map) (or something similar) line. ;-(

A recent current kernel I built myself freezes at a similar point on
a PowerBook 520.  Maybe related, maybe not.  Can you handcopy the
exact message it shows?  Also, can you tell us exactly which snapshot
you are using?

Older snapshot kernels seem to boot all the way through on this PB520,
though.  Once you get init to run, your PB180 should work much better
than PB500s; The 180 has an FPU.

> So my questions are...is there support in -current for the 640x480x4
> (16 color) display of the PB180 (030@33 w/882)?

Not officially, though console works at any color depth as long as
frame buffer is packed-pixel format (it usually is).  But console
doesn't use any color but black and white.  No grays.

> Is 16 levels of gray supported?  I suspect not, since Booter is
> 1/8/16/32 in its menu...no '4' in there. ;-)

My unofficial OSFA (*) X server should work at 4-bit gray scale mode,
provided that kernel boots all the way through.  It's available at
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X.  Please read the
README.Xmac68k_OSFA file carefully before using it.

*: OSFA stands for ``One Server Fits All,'' named after Frank Zappa's
album in 1975, ``One Size Fits All''; it has nothing to do with the
Open Software Foundation.

> I've not checked to see if the serial is spewing stuff out teh
> serial port (serial debug stuff is unchecked in Booter, and since it
> displays stuff on the console, I suspect it's NOT doing serial
> console, but...), so I don't know if the machine is hanging, or just
> not displaying things.

You have to check the Booter option "Open Port before booting (for
PowerBook)" in order to use the serial port(s) at all (Thanks to Scott
Reynolds for reminding me of this).

Ken