Subject: RE: compile kernel and apps, what's up?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1998 15:58:52
On 08-Aug-98 Brian Wildasinn wrote:
> lives there. BBTW, it appears that the generic kernel for 1.3.2 doesn't
> include ext2 support in the /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC so I
> checked in
[snip]
> compiler lines compiling those ../ufs/ext2fs/*.c files. I did recheck my
> notes, which say that ext2fs should have been turned on in the GENERIC
> kernel for netbsd-1.3.2. This wasn't the case for me, though i did ftp the
> ftp;//ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/source/sets/syssrc.tgz file.

Yep, checked the distribution tree again and did another download of the above
syssrc.tgz. It does _not_ have EXT2FS anywhere in the GENERIC or other conf/
files. But it is in NetBSD-current:

#       $NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.79 1998/07/01 14:49:07 scottr Exp $ ...
#File systems ...
file-system   EXT2FS      # second extended file system (linux)

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC

but not in the 1.3.2 release. Does anyone know if there's maybe going to be an
hfs_fs in a lkm or added as a supported filesystem in the kernel? There appears
to be work in this regard for other unix kernels, but maybe due to the hughe
waste of unused-unavailable blocks in large HFS partitions, is not useful? Or
maybe HFS+ support in NetBSD would be time better spent?

Would it be better to hard code in a low-level booter for system info of the
various hardware and ditch having to fuss with HFS at all? I became aware of HFS
shortcommings when my 1k files grew to 32k when transferred to a new gig
harddrive, and only managed to sqeeze them down to 2k by making 7 or 8 HFS
partitions. And you know, in macos that means copying and deleating, unlike the
automatic deleate in unix' mv command.

BTW, but I went from 20megs to 16megs of RAM just booting from macOS to NetBSD.
Where'd that 4 megs go? (I think macOS with all extensions off is about 1.4
megs and about 4 megs when lots of extensions and controll panels are booted.)
Is memory size another option to check in compiling my own kernel?

E-Mail: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
Date: 08-Aug-98
Time: 14:59:58

This message was sent by XFMail