Subject: Re: Color X on Quadra 650
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1998 03:41:29
>Now!

:-)

>Also, would this be a wscons-esque thing? Or is that migration later?
>If the new stuff is wscons based, could it get rolled into macppc too?

I've looked at adding fb/wscons and I've decided to do that *after* I do
the color additions. I'm doing the video support through a series of devices
that attach to a "vidbus". The current video architecture attaches to
devices on that bus. So we could switch to fb/wscons just by pulling out
grf and replacing it with fb. This is also a plus because it allows folks to
choose which graphics device they want to compile a kernel with.

I took a look at what might be required and I think we'll need a more bus-like
adb that a mouse and keyboard device could attach to. It may not be strictly
necessary but I think it would make porting wscons to mac68k much easier.

I also need to talk with the tech-kern folks. I was disappointed with the
fact that our fb device doesn't have as rich an interface as I'd like it to
have. Granted, some things belong in the X server but I think it's safe to
say that you'd want to be able to resize your console without having to
boot an X server to do it. :)

As for macppc, I suppose it's possible. They could also use my vidbus stuff
and add video devices of their own. I could talk to Paul Mackerras and
Geert Utterhoven (sp?). They are the video guys on linux-pmac. We could
refer to their code and build drivers for linux-ppc pretty easily from
their source. Paul is already letting me look at the Valkyrie driver from
linux-ppc so that I can write a Valkyrie driver for the Q630.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill