Subject: compile kernel and apps, what's up?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1998 21:28:44
Hi!
I've was using hfsutils-1.17b with good results until, I deleated the itcl7.6
stuff, which I once used to compile it. Now all versions of hfs don't compile
using the pkgsrc/tcl8.0 and tk8.0 sources; for some reason the headers aren't
getting recognised for tcl.h and tk.h, which has the variables defined that hfs
needs. I tried copying these to /usr/include as well as in hfsutils/src/. Has
anyone been using hfsutils-1.17b or 3.2 with tcl8.0 code? If so, could you
email me the patches? I did 'grep itcl *' and 'grep tcl7.6' in the hfs source
directory but nothing shows up unil after ocmpiling hfs, When trying the
binaries, I get 'cant find tcl7.6 in /usr/local/tcl7.6 /usr/local/itcl/tcl7.6
/usr/tcl7.6'. I deleated all my old tcl stuff when pkgsrc installed verison
8.0 into the /pkg/ directory. I don't understand why a binary should be
asking for an older version of tcl when no reference is made in the source
code, and when the Makefile has the pkg directory for includes and lib.

BTW, I typed in HFS in findmail's list of discussions for all their listed
mailing list groups. Seems that some versions of unix are attempting an lkm
module. So, I checked /usr/include/ufs in the netbsd-1.3.2 stuff, but no hfs_fs
lives there. BBTW, it appears that the generic kernel for 1.3.2 doesn't include
ext2 support in the /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC so I checked in
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ext2fs for EXT2FS and found something close to that, and so
just added that to the conf file i made to get a 68040 optimised kernel that can
see linux partitions. It seemed to work--well, the compiling of ext2fs code
anyway, not a netbsd kernel (gcc bails out at ver.c)--since it showed up as gcc
compiler lines compiling those ../ufs/ext2fs/*.c files. I did recheck my notes,
which say that ext2fs should have been turned on in the GENERIC kernel for
netbsd-1.3.2. This wasn't the case for me, though i did ftp the
ftp;//ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/source/sets/syssrc.tgz file.
There appears to be a note in the INSTALL.txt file that hangs around the
netbsd-1.3.2 upgrade binaries. Something to the effect that a kernel cannot get
recompiled unless _all_ the source code is installed. Although others including
the unofficial NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD faq mentions that jsut a few programs wil
l have to get recompiled to work again (like ps). My notes say that all i need
for a mac68k kernel recompile is an up-to-date /usr.sbin/config program.

Trying to kill two birds with one kernel compile... I know I'm close since the
gcc compiler is at -o netbsd ...vers.o. I got the /usr/src/sys/include files to
see if they weren't upgraded along with my netbsd-1.3.2 grade last month. Maybe
that's why a new kernel compile hasn't completed yet. Here's my session thus
far. The script was only run after gcc bailed out, so there's not a zillion
lines.
http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/kernel-typescript
http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/Q700-conf
http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/Q700-compile-Makefile

Basically I've done

'make depend && make && make install' in /usr/src/usr.sbin/config/
'cp GENERIC Q700' in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/
'config Q700' in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/
'make includes' in /usr/src/sys/arch/
'make depend && make' in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/

Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Brian
bwildasi@csulb.edu
ps, say is there any takers on why include files aren't being recognised by
gcc?

E-Mail: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
Date: 07-Aug-98
Time: 20:26:42