Subject: Re: a whole bunch of clueless newbie questions
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1998 07:01:10
>Well, I guess it would be tough for the Classic to use a PMMU since the
>Classic is a 68000 machine as well. I never could understand the logic for
>buying a classic. Technically, it's an SE except that there's no expansion
>slot like the SE had. You'd simply get a better machine (and much cheaper)
>if you bought a used SE. They're both 8 Mhz 68000 chips, with Max_RAM of 4
>MB. The MIPS rating is identical, but the SE has an SE PDS slot, and the
>Classic has nothing. Doesn't seem to add up to me.
>
>Mike
>
>Bikers don't *DO* taglines.

Hi,

The Classic has a 1.44MB floppy drive, but most SEs only have 800k floppy
drives.  When the classic first came out I was running a desktop publishing
service bureau with two Mac IIs and an SE.  The service bureau was part of
a larger printing company, and one of the office workers elsewhere in the
company had a SE with the better floppy drive, but they were tiring of me
interrupting their work every time I got a job in on a 1.44MB floppy.
Since the Mac Classic was priced at half the cost of an SE, it was a really
cheap way of getting another computer with a 1.44MB floppy drive.

Now, neither computer is worth spending any money on, IMHO. :)

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Mac IIcx
NetBSD 1.3.2 on another Mac IIcx