Subject: gcc can't find X headers
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1998 09:20:45
Hi!

I have this problem on my netbsd-1.3.2 system that files can't find each other.
Specifically the header files in X.

Not sure if this is a recent faq (it's not in the install faq for Xwindows by
Colin, nor in last year's "unofficial FreeBSD,NetBSD,OpenBSD faq), all of which
I checked under X and programming, since any app that uses X uses the X header
files that must be compile them in.

In the past I hard coded my X11 include files so that #include <> was changed to
#include "". For some reason the default location of /usr/X11R6/include/X11
didn't make it into the X-Windows include files, but instead is #include
<X11/*.h> for all the files. Probably due to Xwindows being stiched onto
zillions of different platforms. Anyway, although I run .cshrc and .sh, adding
the /usr/X11R6/include/X11 to their paths doesn't seem to help the header files
in X find their neighbors in the same directory.

Is there a fix to this? I tried "ln -s /usr/X11R6/include/X11 /X11 in the /
directory, but this didn't help. It appears that files only can be simbolically
linked for this task, although I have lots of simbolic directories for other
stuff. gcc-2.7.2.x appears to travel along simbolic files not directories. So,
I found myself making a script to speed up the hard coding of all these
files again, but thought why do that, if there's a better way for header include
files to find each other. Seems that the only type that are problem free are
the /usr/include files of the system itself.

E-Mail: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
Date: 06-Aug-98
Time: 08:52:27

This message was sent by XFMail