Subject: Re: Network speed question...
To: None <erich@wrq.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1998 12:57:51
>      Also, what is ttcp?

It's a program (in the packages collection, even ;-) that can be used
for testing or benchmarking TCP performance.  BTW, you should note that
the time kept by the system is not too accurate when the disk is being
accessed, so using 'time' to time disk transactions can be misleading.
You should dbl-check to see that the wall time matches the reported time
before accepting the K/sec numbers...  ;-)

>      I'm curious about another thing.  I have a MacCon Nubus NIC too.  The
>      docs say that it has 64KB memory.  The kernel reported it as only 32
>      KB.  Is that a kernel limitation?

Yes.  It might be time to revisit this.  If I recall correctly, the
memory sizing code broke on some cards when we tried to probe for
64K.  It misidentified some cards with 32k as having 64k, which caused
unpleasantness...  ;-)

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com