Subject: Re: a whole bunch of clueless newbie questions
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1998 02:02:07
>At 1:04 PM -0400 8/5/98, Jude Giampaolo wrote:
>>Adrian Rollett carved on a block of stone:
>>> *
>>> * I have access to a classic, a bunch of mac IIIs, some mac II's (si and
>>> * ci), a quadra 700, and a centris 610.  I also think I might have
>>>access to
>>> * an old SE.
>>>
>>> it looks like your first step should be to read through the FAQ on
>>> macbsd.com. I'm not trying to push you off, it's just that you'll save
>>> yourself and us a lot of time by doing so. Second, I'm not quite sure what
>>> you mean by mac III - LCIII? Other than that, all the machines you listed
>>> should be supported.
>>
>>But not the SE unless its an SE/30.
>>

>In addition, the Mac Classic doesn't have a PMMU, so it can't run NetBSD
>either.

Well, I guess it would be tough for the Classic to use a PMMU since the
Classic is a 68000 machine as well. I never could understand the logic for
buying a classic. Technically, it's an SE except that there's no expansion
slot like the SE had. You'd simply get a better machine (and much cheaper)
if you bought a used SE. They're both 8 Mhz 68000 chips, with Max_RAM of 4
MB. The MIPS rating is identical, but the SE has an SE PDS slot, and the
Classic has nothing. Doesn't seem to add up to me.

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.