Subject: Re: Q605 is up (and a licensing question)
To: None <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1998 09:36:32
On Wed, 5 Aug 1998 19:23:31 -0400, Michael R. Zucca wrote:
> >Just FYI, this is basically what's happening in the effort of bringing
> >IDE support to NetBSD/mac68k.
>
> If you know the author you can simply ask to use the code as well.

I received a code snippet from Michael Schmitz, but NetBSD has an
M.I. IDE driver, so register base address and interrupt were pretty
much all I wanted to know.  I'm trying to integrate the M.I. wdc
driver into mac68k modeling other archs (i386, alpha, and atari).
What I have to do right now basically is understand kernel config file
syntax, semantics, and structure, which has proven to be a little (ok,
much ;-) harder than I thought would be.

> Paul Mackerras of Linux-pmac fame has given me permission to refer to his
> code for the Valkyrie video driver so I can write a driver for the 630.
>
> It was sort of the reverse situation to the IDE. I figured out the controller
> and DAC base but I only had a little bit of knowlege about the chips :-)
> It's a good thing, too, because the timing is controlled via the CUDA.
> Paul had to use a scope to find the values! So it certainly has saved me
> time reverse engineering the hardware!

At any rate, coorperation between the two camps is much better than no
coorperation.

Ken