Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1998 23:42:19
At 10:21 AM 97.08.04, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> [Note: I know my mailer is acting like it's 1997. It has to do with
> access codes and the fact this machine's not running NetBSD :-(  ]

[snip]

> Was the "local" flag there when the machine booted? Or did you run
> "ttyflags" after making the change and before testing? The getty wasn't
> already running, was it?

This is what happened, Bill, at the experiment :
(I can recall this in detail because I took a note of it).

0) Before I really started the experiment, tty00 had the following setting
and was ON at 9600 baud (I could see it by "ps" command).

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  unknown on secure

1) First I changed the setting to the following, to meet the setting on the
other Mac's termianl software:

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt220 on secure

and I did "kill -HUP 1" but nothing happend. I mean, "ps -ax" command
showed that tty00 was still on at 9600 baud instead of 57600. I tried "kill
-HUP 1" several times but in vain.

2) I rebooted NetBSD and verified that getty had restarted at 57600 anyway.
But this did not bring anything about the connection to the terminal
windown of the other Mac (iici/MacOS).

3) I rememberd about adding "local" option so I changed the setting to :

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt220 on secure local

then I went straight to reboot NetBSD without knowing there is a command
like "stty" to view the options :-).

After the reboot I discovered a mentioning of "stty" command in Bob
Nestor's suggestions and I tried it and could see the flag was now
"clocal", not "-clocal". (So I can't tell what it was before).

But this time too, nothing happed on the other Mac's terminal. No
characters echoed on the other mac's terminal.

4) I decided to try the last resort :-) I mean I unplugged the serial cable
from the modem port, plugged to the printer port of Classic II, set the
same getty setting on tty01, and kill HUPed and then --- it came at last!
I could log into to NetBSD thru the printer port, not the modem port.

> This problem does sound like the same one Andred described, but I find it
> hard to believe that Apple messed up their modem ports...
>
> When the machine is up, and there's a getty running on the port, type
> "stty -e -f /dev/tty00" and please send me the output.

Here you are :

  192 00  IWs+   0:01.61 /usr/libexec/getty std.57600 tty00
  186 01  Ss     0:08.53 -csh (csh)
  205 01  R+     0:00.53 ps -ax
classic2# stty -e -f /dev/tty00
speed 57600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -e
chonl
    -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pe
ndin
    -nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -im
axbel -ignbrk
    -brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost onlcr -ocrnl oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb -crts
cts -mdmbuf
    -cdtrcts
discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill
    lnext
^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U
    ^V
min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time
    werase
1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      <undef> ^S      ^Z      0
    ^W
classic2#

how's it?

Takashi Ikemi