Subject: Re: xmodmap, mozilla, kterm ,wm2
To: None <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1998 10:17:47
On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:32:10 -0700 (PDT), David Brownlee wrote:
> 	Have you tried using xkeycaps - a very nice interface to building
> 	xmodmap files (complete with removing lock behaviour)

Unfortunately, it won't work.

> On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, INOUE Katsumi wrote:
> > And I tried both running this at startup(~/.Xmodmap), and after startup.
> > These commands are supposed to swap 'caps lock' and 'ctrl'.
> >
> > --------
> > remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> > remove Control = Control_L
> > keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
> > keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
> > add Lock = Caps_Lock
> > add Control = Control_L
> > --------

You can't swap control and caps lock keys with xmodmap because caps
lock key has either mechanical lock key switch (obvious and
uninteresting case) or soft lock which makes it always sticky (this
case).  Soft lock caps lock key submits its make or break code when
pressed, and submits nothing when released.  So, if you press and
release caps lock key, the computer will think it's still pressed
until you hit it again.  IOW, it's sticky.

Obviously, keyboard's built-in microcontroller does this, probably in
order to make it look the same from the computer whether it is
mechanical or soft lock.

This is exactly why I gave up on the extended keyboard that came with
my Q840AV, went to our university's surplus store, and picked up this
standard keyboard I'm using right now for $5 ;-)

Ken