Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/04/1998 10:39:11
[Note: I know my mailer is acting like it's 1997. It has to do with
access codes and the fact this machine's not running NetBSD :-(  ]

> Thank you for your response, Bill.
>
> Bob Nestor has given me the same suggestion to add "local" option and it WORKED!
>
> I set it exactly to :
>
> tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt220 on secure local
>
> That addition of "local" option changed everything all of sudden and I
> could see the stream from ClassicII/NetBSD flood into a MacOS terminal
> window on IIci. I was then able to log into the NetBSD system. At last!
>
> But let me also report that the success was only on the printer port.  When
> I tried the same thing on the modem port of ClassicII - with the same cable
> and the same setting on tty00 - then again, nothing happened.
>
> So doesn't this match what Andred Foakes first said at the begining of this
> thread?

Was the "local" flag there when the machine booted? Or did you run
"ttyflags" after making the change and before testing? The getty wasn't
already running, was it?

This problem does sound like the same one Andred described, but I find it
hard to believe that Apple messed up their modem ports...

When the machine is up, and there's a getty running on the port, type
"stty -e -f /dev/tty00" and please send me the output.

Take care,

Bill