Subject: Re: Booting read-only? (vi still hosed)
To: <>
From: El JoPe Magnifico <jope@n2h2.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/03/1998 21:41:18
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>> I still get a "bad system call" error from vi and then a core dump,
>> and likewise with more.
>
> sounds like you missed something in your reinstall (or else something
> is a bit corrupted).

Well, the fact that I've been installing one set of binaries over another,
rather than wiping out the old ones first, makes me somewhat wary.
Now that I'm read-write and know rm works, I could do an "rm -rf /" to
clear everything out first, yes?  Or is simply formatting again with
Mkfs the suggested method of doing this?

Corruption seems a little too convenient an answer, but if all else fails
I'll download the base package again to see if that helps.

> what kind of system is this again?  if it's officially supported by the
> 1.3.2 distribution, you might try wiping the whole thing and reinstalling
> 1.3.2 (a pain, i know, but it would at least give you a known starting
> point).

Pretty much resigned to trying that next.
Quadra 605 with a full '040.  Doesn't look like it was considered
supported in 1.3.2, but that may have been based solely on its original
configuration with the 'LC040.  That reminds me, I need to contact
the other posters with the same machine...

>> The 19980725 kernel was still trying to mount my root&usr parition as
>> ext2fs instead of ffs and then dying with something like "ext2fs_baddir".
>> This was using the binaries from a couple weeks prior though.
>> Dumb question: is this something inherent to the kernel or to mount?
>
> you got me on this one.  i don't have any ext2fs partitions, and i'm not
> really running -current at the moment (although i guess that should change
> sometime in the near future).  when is this mount occurring, before
> running /etc/rc or during this process?  does you /etc/fstab refer to your
> / partition as 'ffs' or 'ext2fs'?

But I don't have any ext2fs partitions either, not since I nuked them in
order to remove that as a possible cause of the problem.  I'll have to
note the exact message when I get home, but it was right after where
the root partition is identified.  Should be the standard /etc/fstab
created by doing "fstab force" in the Installer mini-shell.
Try, try again...
-jope

--
 J.P. Montagnet