Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/03/1998 12:29:01
> Thank you, Bill,
>
> Yes, I'm using a printer cable to hook the machines.  But, as I wrote in
> another reponse to Bob Nestor, I've succeed in calling from ClassicII
> running MacOS to IIci running NetBSD, using the same ports and cable.
> I can get into pppd on IIci/NetBSD, thanks to your ppp-setup.tgz and
> mgetty, BTW :-)
>
> It seems to me that the problem might be focused on the "ports of
> Classic II under NetBSD", because I can use the ports under MacOS
> without troubles, dialing Modem, connecting to LocalTalk, or even
> connecting to another DOS machine.

Since you're not using a cable which activly drives DCD, we can't make any
assertion. When you're using a cable which doesn't set the pin to a
definite voltage, the input driver can do whatever it wants.

It could be that the printer port lacks DCD. But we have to apply a signal
which gets ignored to prove it. :-)

I thought you said that modems worked fine on the printer port. That'd
indicate that DCD worked there, I believe.

> > Try "local" as an option in /etc/ttys and see what happens. Also, to check
> > the pin, try a real modem on the port w/ a MacOS PPP or SLIP.
>
> Tell me how to set "local" option in /etc/ttys, please?

man ttys will have lots of details, but just add " local" to the end of
the tty00 or tty01 line. Then either run ttyflags or reboot (which will
automaticly run ttyflags).

Take care,

Bill