Subject: Re: Booting read-only? (more)
To: None <jope@n2h2.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/1998 15:15:04
El JoPe Magnifico wrote:

> >   When you first boot into NetBSD, it will automatically drop you into
> >   single-user mode with the root filesystem mounted read-write. [...]
> >                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> At the time I was doing this, I couldn't remember the syntax used by
> mount and fsck. Now that I've had a chance to print a copy of their man
> pages to keep handy, I'll take another whack at it.  (If at first you
> don't succeed... =)  Umm, and I just thought of something: Would the
> single-user boot option cause it to go read-only instead of what the
> INSTALL doc indicates?

Yes, it would.  If you follow the install doc precisely, root will be
mounted read/write when /etc/rc discovers that rc.conf hasn't been
configured yet and drops you into single-user mode.

> Dunno why I had that clicked, but I think I did.
> Apologies if I just answered my own question...

That's all right.  You should really take a look at the FAQ.  Most of your
questions are answered in there:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

I hope this helps.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation