Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/1998 12:38:47
At 1:44 PM 98.08.01, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > In my case, "another Mac" is iici, from which I tried to login to ClassicII
> > using an ordinary terminal software. The result is, the modem port does NOT
> > respond to the terminal at all while the printer port does. (I could
> > confirm it using ps -ax command. Even with the printer port, however, I
> > can't go further to login. I don't know why.) The kernel is netbsd.c2.1.3.1
> > by N.Yamada.
> >
> > I wonder if this has something to do with the lack of hardware Carrier
> > Detection (7pin) on some Macintoshes' serial ports? (I'm just wondering
> > because I don't
> > know anything about these things :-))
>
> AFAIK, all the computers which can run NetBSD w/o an accelerator, which would
> include the Classic II, had all the pins hooked up.
>
> Also, I thought that the printer port was the one which would end up lacking
> the CD pin. That'd indicate that maybe the cable's not wired right, or that
> the other mac is not asserting DCD.
>
> If you're using a printer cable to hook the two together, that's part of the
> problem. They either don't connect DCD, or hook DCD to DCD. Thus there's no
> output driving this pin. The pin can do whatever it wants.
>
> Try "local" as an option in /etc/ttys and see what happens. Also, to check
> the pin, try a real modem on the port w/ a MacOS PPP or SLIP. The one I've
> seen will tell you if DCD's not there (it tells you the state of both pins,
> and shows a gray box for a machine w/o the pin).
>
> Take care,

Thank you, Bill,

Yes, I'm using a printer cable to hook the machines.  But, as I wrote in
another reponse to Bob Nestor, I've succeed in calling from ClassicII
running MacOS to IIci running NetBSD, using the same ports and cable.
I can get into pppd on IIci/NetBSD, thanks to your ppp-setup.tgz and
mgetty, BTW :-)

It seems to me that the problem might be focused on the "ports of
Classic II under NetBSD", because I can use the ports under MacOS
without troubles, dialing Modem, connecting to LocalTalk, or even
connecting to another DOS machine.

> Try "local" as an option in /etc/ttys and see what happens. Also, to check
> the pin, try a real modem on the port w/ a MacOS PPP or SLIP.

Tell me how to set "local" option in /etc/ttys, please?

Takashi Ikemi