Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/1998 12:38:30
At 12:27 PM 98.08.01, Bob Nestor wrote:
> Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp> wrote:

> >Reading your report, I tried on my Classic II with NetBSD 1.3.1,  and met
> >the same phenomenon.
> >
> >In my case, "another Mac" is iici, from which I tried to login to ClassicII
> >using an ordinary terminal software. The result is, the modem port does NOT
> >respond to the terminal at all while the printer port does. (I could
> >confirm it using ps -ax command. Even with the printer port, however, I
> >can't go further to login. I don't know why.) The kernel is netbsd.c2.1.3.1
> >by N.Yamada.
> >
> >I wonder if this has something to do with the lack of hardware Carrier
> >Detection (7pin) on some Macintoshes' serial ports? (I'm just wondering
> >because I don't
> >know anything about these things :-))
>
> While the Carrier Det my cause problems with some setups, it shouldn't
> keep you from running PPP between MacOS and NetBSD/mac68k.  The lack of
> DTR does make it difficult to drop the connection though.  It's been some
> time, but I've successfully run SLIP from a MacPlus to NetBSD/mac68k
> using a home-make DIN-8 to DIN-8 cable.  And I've successfully used the
> same cable to run PPP between a PPC Mac running MacOS and NetBSD/mac68k.
> Off hand I don't recall doing anything special to condition the serial
> ports on either end, and as far as I remember the cable was pretty
> straight-forward.  At one time I had even posted the wiring diagrams for
> various cables to the mailing-list when similar questions came up in the
> past.
>
> If either of you are interested I can dig up my notes and try some
> experiments and let you know exactly what worked for me.

Thank you, Bob,

The problem seems not the problem between MacOS and NetBSD/mac68k in
generall, but just between Classic II running NetBSD and another Mac.

It seems like that because my "another Mac", IIci, has also NetBSD 1.3.1
installed, and I can get to it from ClassicII running MacOS (7.1). I can
even telnet to IIci/NetBSD from ClassicII/MacOS after establishing
connection using ConfigPPP vs pppd+mgetty. In this case, pppd comes up
very happily in response to the call from ClassicII's modem port, no
matter the port on IIci is modem port or printer port. (I haven't tested
calling from ClassicII's printer port).

Being satisfied with the success above, I went further to test calling
between ClassicII/NetBSD and IIci/NetBSD. I haven't succeeded in this
yet, but I suppose there might be something wrong with my pppd settings
on the part of ClassicII. Honestly, I don't have knowledge on these
things, just trying and seeing errors :-). I'd be happy if someone would
tell me how to configure NetBSD's pppd as client for direct connection
without modem.

Takashi Ikemi