Subject: Re: Booting read-only?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: El JoPe Magnifico <jope@n2h2.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1998 21:24:49
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> I finally got
>> NetBSD to boot into single-user mode, with one small glitch: the file
>> system is mounted read-only rather than read-write.  I also get something
>> about "proc size mismatch" (I think that was it) under ps.  Otherwise,
>> everything looks fine.  Ideas why it's read-only?
>
> It's supposed to mount root r/o when yo're in single-user mode. Single-user
> is mainly designed so you can come in and fsck all the partitions. To do
> that to the root partition, you either need to reboot after fsck'ing (if
> it's mounted r/o), or you need to mount the partition r/o. Then you can
> fsck it w/o problem.

Curious.  The INSTALL doc says...

  When you first boot into NetBSD, it will automatically drop you into
  single-user mode with the root filesystem mounted read-write. [...]
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^
  At this point, you need to configure at least one file in the /etc
  directory.  Change to the /etc directory and take a look at the
  /etc/rc.conf file.  Modify it to your tastes, making sure that you
  set "rc_configured=YES" so that your changes will be enabled and a
  multi-user boot can proceed.

If I try to use vi on /etc/rc.conf, or try to run fsck, I get an error
saying "Bad system call".  So... what am I missing here?  BTW, I have
/usr on the same partition as root.

And is the above message about "proc size mismatch" something about
which I should be concerned?  Thanks...
-jope

--
 J.P. Montagnet