Subject: Booting read-only?
To: Mac68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: El JoPe Magnifico <jope@n2h2.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1998 18:28:10
After shuffling around my partitions (so NetBSD root came before Linux
root) and finally giving the Installer enough memory that it didn't crash
while installing base.tgz (needed 40 megs; odd, considering I somehow
got by successfully with much less once before... *shrug*) I finally got
NetBSD to boot into single-user mode, with one small glitch: the file
system is mounted read-only rather than read-write.  I also get something
about "proc size mismatch" (I think that was it) under ps.  Otherwise,
everything looks fine.  Ideas why it's read-only?

Just the facts, ma'am...
Quadra 605 w/ full '040, 36M RAM
4GB SCSI internal (Quantum Fireball)
no ethernet, cards or peripherals
netbsd-GENERICSBC-1.3.2

All the #76 kernels kept trying to mount the root partition as ext2fs
rather than ffs, even after using Mkfs to change to Apple_Free all the
other A/UX partitions (both those earmarked for NetBSD and for Linux)
just in case it was trying to mount the wrong partition.  (I realize
those are a few weeks old and now probably not the most recent kernels,
so I'll check for something newer)  Thanks...
-jope

--
 J.P. Montagnet
 jope@n2h2.com