Subject: Re: Reading DOS formatted ZIP drive
To: Franz Urbanski <fou@on-luebeck.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1998 15:49:55
> Everything is fine. Well, almost ...
>
> Sometimes I'd like to transport files from a Windoze 95 system to my
> NetBSD and vice versa.
>
> Unfortunately I can't mount the ZIP drive using
>
> 	"mount -t msdos /dev/sd1a /users"
>
> It tells me, that the disklabel is neither "Mac" nor "NetBSD".

Yep.

> Thus I have to start MacOS and copy the files with PC-Exchange to the
> MacOS-partition. After rebooting NetBSD I can finally (h)copy the files
> using the HFS tools. Not to mention that I loose all the "long" file
> names due to my PC-Exchange version.
>
> Is there a way to prepare the ZIP-Disks, to be able to use it under
> Win95 and to mount it in the NetBSD file system?
> Or, is the "mount_msdos" only usable in NetBSD/i386?

mount_msdos should certainly be usable on NetBSD/mac68k. The problem is
not with the filesystem code, but with the disklabeling. Disklabeling
in NetBSD is a bit restrictive at the moment. Each port only supports
the disklabels it knows about - they don't share. So there's no way
to easily share multiple label formats.

If you get fancy, you can get manually write a MacOS partition table on
the Zip drive which'd live with MBR table already there. I can give you
ideas about it if you're interested. Basicly you'd need to make MacOS
partitions which occupied the exact same area as the MBR partition(s).

If the disk only has one partition (likely), then it's not too bad. You'll
just need sector #2 to be unused, and to write a fake MacOS partition table
into the bottom of sectors #1 & #2.

Take care,

Bill