Subject: Re: Mdeom Port on Classic II
To: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1998 13:44:21

> At 8:02 PM 98.07.28, Andrew Foakes wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > An update on NetBSD version 1.3.2 on my Classic II with apologies for
> > those who are bored silly by this.
> >
> > I've managed to get a ppp link between my Classic II and another Mac
> > running OT/PPP, with a few error messages and generally slow connection
> > (it's time to play with a few of those ppp options).  As I'm not dialling
> > out, I've put pppd in /etc/ttys for tty01 rather than getty.  But, I've
> > had to do this with tty01 as tty00 never responds.  It doesn't even let
> > me put a terminal on it under getty, which tty01 does.  Does this mean I
> > have a piece of dead hardware or is there some other process that sets up
> > the modem port in a strange way that is stopping either getty or pppd
> > from working properly?

Andrew, what happens if you fire pppd up on tty00 after the other mac?
If you keep it in /etc/ttys, try adding "local passive" to the command
line options. local will tell pppd to ignore carrier detect, and passive
will have it sit there until the other side (OT/PPP) says here I am.

> Reading your report, I tried on my Classic II with NetBSD 1.3.1,  and met
> the same phenomenon.
>
> In my case, "another Mac" is iici, from which I tried to login to ClassicII
> using an ordinary terminal software. The result is, the modem port does NOT
> respond to the terminal at all while the printer port does. (I could
> confirm it using ps -ax command. Even with the printer port, however, I
> can't go further to login. I don't know why.) The kernel is netbsd.c2.1.3.1
> by N.Yamada.
>
> I wonder if this has something to do with the lack of hardware Carrier
> Detection (7pin) on some Macintoshes' serial ports? (I'm just wondering
> because I don't
> know anything about these things :-))

AFAIK, all the computers which can run NetBSD w/o an accelerator, which would
include the Classic II, had all the pins hooked up.

Also, I thought that the printer port was the one which would end up lacking
the CD pin. That'd indicate that maybe the cable's not wired right, or that
the other mac is not asserting DCD.

If you're using a printer cable to hook the two together, that's part of the
problem. They either don't connect DCD, or hook DCD to DCD. Thus there's no
output driving this pin. The pin can do whatever it wants.

Try "local" as an option in /etc/ttys and see what happens. Also, to check
the pin, try a real modem on the port w/ a MacOS PPP or SLIP. The one I've
seen will tell you if DCD's not there (it tells you the state of both pins,
and shows a gray box for a machine w/o the pin).

Take care,

Bill